Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Foster Care Stuff

(I think) we were submitted for another baby yesterday. Our case worker person was going to check on something before she submitted us. But anyway, he's a nine month old Caucasian boy. That's about all I know. Other than that, not much has been happening in that area of our lives.

She asked me yesterday if we would be willing to take a temporary foster placement just for a month or two. I hated to, but I told her no. That's just not what we're doing this for. Not at this point in our lives, anyway. It makes me feel a little guilty to know that we are licensed to be a temporary family for a kid or two, but we don't want to. The people who are willing to do that must be made of some stuff that we're not. I just can't see bringing a kid into this family that we know without a doubt will be leaving just as soon as we get used to him or her. Jackson couldn't understand that. We can't commit our parents to help us with some kid that has no chance of being their grandkid. But still, I feel guilty. I know there aren't enough good foster homes in Texas. I know that we could give a child a great temporary home. But selfishly, we just don't want to do it. And so, right now, we won't.

I told someone today that my goal is to have a baby by Christmas. Like I have any control whatsoever of accomplishing that "goal." I'm planning on waiting until the last possible day to start on our Christmas cards just in case we have another member to add to the photo. I'm sure all that means really is that our Christmas cards will be late.

No comments: