Monday, April 09, 2007

What will I be when I grow up?

Until recently, I haven't given a whole lot of thought to what kind of career I might want to have some day. I haven't wanted to have any kind of career as long as I have preschoolers at home. Jack will be starting kindergarten in the fall. And of course, we are hoping like crazy we are able to adopt the new little guy. If that happens, I would continue to stay home and just work part time until he is school aged. But if things don't go the way we hope, I may think about going to work full time...for the first time in my life. I really don't like the thought of going to a job early in the morning Mon-Fri and getting home just in time to start cooking dinner. But, it would really allow us to get ourselves in a much better financial situation.

Anyway, I think at some point down the road I'll probably go through an alternative certification program for becoming a teacher. Here is the website for the Region IV alternative certification program. I have enough core hours for Early Childhood Generalist. So, assuming I could get a position locally, I could teach kindergarten-fourth grade. I think I would like that...at least for two or three years. I could also teach Secondary Business courses. That would be AWESOME!! Oh man, I think I'd rather be beaten and left for dead. O.k., I guess it wouldn't be that bad. If I taught for three years or so, we could probably pay off our house and cars and then I would never have to work again. That would be the only reason I would be willing to do it. I think during those three years I would be a horrible person to live with. I barely keep up with house work and grocery shopping now so I can't imagine how I'd do it if I were working full time. I know lots of women do it but I'm not sure if I could handle it for very long.

Sort of along the same lines, but not really....
I believe that some day (hopefully before we're old and gray) either me or Phillip or both of us will have careers that we love. That is really a dream of mine. Phillip likes his job o.k., but he is capable of so much more. Not that teaching isn't a noble and necessary field, but I feel like he's barely tapping into his musical abilities and gifts in his current job. I guess most people probably feel like their job is just a way to pay the bills. We are grateful for his job and that is does pay the bills. I think we both are really hoping for more some day. We need to find somewhere within ourselves the drive to make our dreams a reality.

No comments: