Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Canon 30D

Phillip and I sold our Panasonic FZ-50 camera last week on ebay. And I'll be listing my Canon 10D on ebay today or tomorrow. By selling those two cameras, I was able to upgrade to a (slightly used) Canon 30D. I ordered it this morning. I was really torn between the 20D and 30D. There's about a $200 price difference and the major difference in the cameras is that the 30D has a much larger LCD screen. I think I'll be glad to have the larger LCD once I begin using it, but I'm still not quite sure if it's worth the price difference. I really like my 10D, but there are a few things about it that get on my nerves. The main thing is the noise level at higher ISO speeds. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting the new camera. I've never really been one to be too consumed with buying stuff and more stuff. But it seems like there's still lots of photography equipment that I feel like I "need." I think with this camera and the two lenses I currently have, I should be able to do what I need to do for a while anyway. My photography web site will be undergoing an overhaul in the next few weeks as we begin to add some flash elements to it. So, we'll see how that goes.

3 comments:

Maury said...

Sweet! The 30D ought to be like night and day compared to the 10D. And yeah, it's easy to buy all kinds of crap -- my problem is that I want it all now, so I buy it and don't wait. But hey, I have it and I use it.

I finally replaced my old stand, too, since the 40D and the telephotos were too much weight for it when fully extended. I snagged a Slik Pro 700DX from Adorama, which will extend almost 75 inches -- and it supports up to 15 pounds. Slik's quick releases are supposed to be the best out there, too, and I always hate latching the camera back onto the stand.

Now all I have to do is find a good 200 or 300mm zoom with IS (and a macro lens, of course), and I'll be set. I'm in no rush for those, though -- I have until the end of the year before I'll need them.

Jenny Hintze said...

I have a Bogen/Manfrotto w/ a ball head and quick release. I think it supports like 8 lbs, which is enough for my camera and lens.

I think my next lens will be the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, but still not sure.

Maury said...

I've been shooting with my 17-55mm f/2.8 all day today, and I'm liking it a LOT. As you've probably noticed, I like having a wide aperture so I don't have to futz with lighting, thus the f/2.8 on most of my lenses.

If you haven't already, The Digital Picture is a good lens and equipment review site that's well worth a bookmark. The lens you mention is reviewed there, too.