Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I HATE going to the grocery store

Do some people actually enjoy grocery shopping? Do some people feel a rush as they whip through the aisles comparing prices and finding just the right item to complete their evening meal? When I go to the grocery store, I want to get in and out of there as quickly as possible. I rarely make eye contact and if I do, I give a half hearted smile because I know we are sharing the same agony. I can usually get in and out of the store in about 15-20 imnutes and drop around $50 bucks doing it. Sure, I forget stuff and have to go back to get two or three things a couple of days later. And I'm probably drawing out my agony by not taking my time and getting enough groceries for two weeks. But at the time it's all happening, I just have to get in and get out.

But it really seems that every time I go to the store there are lots of people just taking their sweet time meandering through the store or stopping right in the middle of everything just to stare off into space or tie their shoes or make small talk. It seems like every time I go I'm surrounded by people who are completely obvlious to the fact that there are other people who would like to buy some stuff too. I try to wait patiently for the woman and her 80 year old father and her three kids to pick out the perfect bell pepper. I really do. But inside I'm thinking "What's the matter with you??!! Come on people, just grab a stinking pepper!! They're all basically the same!!!" All the while looking patient and calm and smiling if necessary.

I just went to the store....twice within 30 minutes. I left my wallet in the basket and had to go back for it. Yeah, there are drawbacks to trying to get it over with as quickly as possible.

4 comments:

Mad Housewife said...

I always make a list, though I end up with more than what is listed. I already have the coupons I'm going to use in the front of my coupon book I carry around in my purse at all times. I get in, load up my cart, and get out. I get everything but the cold items at Wal-Mart because it's so darn cost-effective not to,and then I go to Randalls for all my meat and cold items such as milk, and I also buy all my fresh produce there because it's prettier and looks better than the bug-eaten veggies and fruit anywhere else. I just loathe waiting in line at the check-out.

I am one of those bargain shoppers. I have those membership card thingies crowding my keychain and my afore-mentioned coupon book organizer thingie. I look at the sale ads before I leave my home. I once did a little experiment over six months to see how much I saved on average each month by coupon-clipping and paying attention to see what was on sale and where...I saved an average of $486 a month by doing all this. So being frugal is definitely worth it. My coupns and such are more or less my income since I do not work, and it's the only way I can afford the luxury of the Clinique counter at Dillards.

Amy said...

I hate it, hate it, hate it.

My peeve is those who stop their baskets in the middle of the aisle and then give you nasty look like it's your fault they're inconsiderate.

Maury said...

You need to learn how to dead-leg people.

Jim Looby said...

That's why I enjoy the shopping. >=)