Monday, July 23, 2007

The Unwelcome Fellow Traveler

I'm reading The Horse and His Boy, book 3 in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I think this one and The Last Battle are probably my favorites out of the seven books. I just got to the part where Shasta (the boy) is wandering in the mountains at night on a horse he doesn't know how to control. He is lost and hungry and exhausted. He has run away from his abusive "adoptive" father. He has been separated from his traveling companions. He's feeling hopeless and scared. And then he becomes aware of a presence beside him. This is my favorite conversation in this book.

"I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis. I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight, to receive you."
"Then it was you who wounded Aravis?"
"It was I."
"But what for?"
"Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own."
"Who are you?" asked Shasta.
"Myself," said the Voice, very deep and low so that the earth shook: and again "Myself," loud and clear and gay: and then the third time "Myself," whispered so softy you could hardly hear it, and yet it seemed to come from all round you as if the leaves rustled with it.

This just paints such a cool picture of God. Aslan, the lion is fierce,terrifying, and even violent. Aslan chased the horses and children so they were in fear for their lives. The fear caused them to travel faster than they could have without it. He struck the girl and left ten claw marks on her back. Aslan is dangerous. But he is good.

Tommy spoke at our church yesterday about molding God into a god that is more manageable and convenient for our lives. And how when we do this, we are worshiping an idol. We are not worshiping the true God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. God is dangerous. He is not convenient or manageable. But He is good.

I like how this chapter is called The Unwelcome Fellow Traveler. I feel like that with God more than I would like to admit. Like he's an unwelcome presence in my life. Like I'm on this journey and if I want to invite him along, then he should come. But otherwise, he should leave me alone and let me do my own thing. I'm really glad he doesn't.

This part in this book is also a good reminder that my story is the one I need to be concerned about. I shouldn't question the spiritual condition of others. That's not my business. That's not for me to know or understand. And I don't need to look at the lives of other people and think I know what God is doing with or in their lives. Other people also don't need to look at my life or circumstances and try to put God in a little box that explains why things happen the way they do.

Anyway, it's a cool book. You should read it sometime.

3 comments:

Jim Looby said...

He could take Hell Hog Willie in three moves.

Unknown said...

I don't know who the person is who made the last comments, but I'm wondering if we will live down Hell Hog Willie any time soon.

Maury said...

Long live Hell Hog Willie (though i prefer the alternate spelling: Hawg).