Saturday, January 28, 2006

Jeremiah

I've been reading in Jeremiah the last few days and there's lots of cool stuff in there. I started kind of at the end and now I'm trying to go back and start from the beginning. It's amazing to see the compassionate and merciful side of God. But I think it's also good to try to grasp God's wrath as well.

I don't think we should be too quick to forget or ignore that God punishes sin. That God hates sin. In my search to learn more about God's character, I've discovered that I'm drawn more to stories in the Old Testament than the New Testament for some reason. I'm drawn to the stories that remind me that God is not this nice neat little grandpa person that just wants to hug us up all the time. I need to be reminded that He expects and desires obedience. That He feels anger. And more importantly, that He feels anger with me. I don't think sweaty yelling and pulpit banging is the thing we need to do necessarily.

But we cannot ignore certain aspects of Christianity and God's character just because it is not comfortable or fun to talk about. He is entirely who He is whether we choose to talk about it or not.

"Do not fear, O Jacob my servant, for I am with you," declares the Lord. "Though I completely destroy all the nations among which I scatter you, I will not completely destroy you. I will discipline you but only with justice; I will not let you go entirely unpunished."
-Jeremiah 46:28 NIV

"Have you not just called to me: 'My father, my friend from my youth, will you always be angry? Will your wrath continue forever?' This is how you talk, but you do all the evil you can." -Jeremiah 3;4-5 NIV

6 comments:

Chuchey Dradey said...

Good post, but it looks like you forgot the 11th commandment.... Thou shalt not expose thy lemons on the internet!

Jim Looby said...

/shaking his head...

Maury said...

Thank goodness you can delete post comments.

Jenny Hintze said...

No way. I'm going to leave it there so everyone can see the genius of Mr. Don Juan.

Phillip Hintze said...

That's Snoop Don Juan. Or maybe Snoop Juannie Juan. I kinda like that one.

Chuchey Dradey said...

By the way phillip, I like that name too! I think I will keep it....