Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Meticulous

Jackson does things sometimes that make me wonder whose kid he really is. He's very particular about getting stuff on his hands. He only eats the icing off of cupcakes becuase he can do that without picking it up with his hands. He just sticks his face near the cupcake and carefully licks the icing off. He doesn't like using glue at school. The other day he really wanted to paint but quit after a few minutes because it was getting on his fingers.

He's extremely cautious when it comes to physical activities like climbing on things, jumping off of stuff,etc. But he is getting a little more adventurous. I'm sure part of that is our doing. It's difficult to let your first kid fall. We were almost always there holding his hands or making sure we would catch him if he fell.

He is also very patient and will stick with things much longer than most three year olds. He most certainly did not get that from me.

Usually when we give him candy, he lines it all out and counts it. I took a picture of this occurance today. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but he placed each Sweet Tart with the "S" side up. He likes to sort and group things according to color.

Phillip and I are somewhat disorganized people. We can tollerate a certain amount of disarray. Neither one of us are detail oriented people at all. We have to force ourselves to be organized and do things in a timely fashion.

Most of the time we just sit back and shake out heads at him. He just seems so funny and unusual to us. We are really enjoying this age. It will be interesting to see what kind of adult he becomes some day.




10 comments:

Maury said...

He sounds completely normal to me, just in case you were wondering.

:thumbsup:

=)

Chuchey Dradey said...

I used to sort the candy at the checkout when I was a kid... My mom thought I was playing around but then she realized I was sorting the grocery rack.

2:45 PM

Jenny Hintze said...

Great, so I guess he's going to turn out like Maury and Snoop Donny Don. Wonderful. Just wonderful.

Maury said...

That last pic of him is great, too, but it would probably look astronomically better if it was taken with an Olympus SP-500UZ.

Jenny Hintze said...

Why don't you do something cool with it in Photoshop?

And by putting a link to the camera do you actually think I'm going to go to it and check it out? Phillip has plenty of stuff to sell if he wants a new camera.

katie said...

Maybe it's a Hintze thing.
David is the exact same way about getting his hands dirty--even though I love getting my hands dirty in the garden, backpacking, whatever--David won't have anything to do with dirt or worms or food that he can't eat with a fork...although he's starting to like to eat boiled eggs with his hands(that is, until the yolk falls out....) :)

Jim Looby said...

It could be a sign of significant mental trauma. I'd say it's likely the "fork incident" has left him scarred in some way.

You'll love the meticulous behavior until it becomes anti-social. You'll want to consult with Maury regarding that point.

Maury said...

I did some Photoshop work on the pic over at my Blog.

Chuchey Dradey said...

It is Snoop Donnie Don, not Donny Don

Jenny Hintze said...

So sorry. Both equally lame.