Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The Napkin Predicament

The first or second week of school I started writing and drawing stuff on Jackson's napkins for his lunch. I just stared doing it to make him feel a little more at home while he was at school. Well, now he has come to expect it and looks forward to what surprise will be on his napkin every day. But I'm tired of writing and drawing on his napkins. We're one month into his first school year and I've gotten myself into a situation I don't want to be in. Every morning I spend entirely too much time contemplating and carrying out my lunch napkin plan. And what makes it worse is that he's so appreciative of the whole thing. And he tells me that I'm "the best drawer" in the world. I don't feel like I can quit doing it now because he'll be disappointed. I told him this morning that I really didn't have time to draw on his napkin and that I didn't have any good ideas. And he said something like, "I don't care what you draw. Just draw anything and I'll like it." UHHHH!! How do you argue with that? I think next Tuesday evening (date night) Phillip and I need to have a napkin drawing party and draw pictures and stuff on about 100 napkins so I can just grab a pre-drawn napkin and stuff it in his lunch box. Like it's not enough that the kid is so picky that I have to make him the same exact lunch every day, but now I'm stuck drawing on his dang napkin. I do realize, of course, that I created this situation. And just in case you've never tried it, it's not all that easy to color a picture on a napkin. And what makes it worse is that the last napkins I bought were cheapo crappy napkins that tear really easily. Man, I don't know what I'm going to do.

4 comments:

debbie said...

Hey, on date night, be sure to draw enough to share with me. I too have cheap napkins that I don't do so well on. And he asks me too if I have drawn something for him. I am much worse at it than you are.

Unknown said...

Maybe try some stickers for fillers on those uninspired days!

Jim Looby said...

Photocopies? Macro designs in Photoshop that you can print out? Stencils? Get Phillip to do it?

Or... draw something embarrassing, so he asks you to stop.

Mad Housewife said...

I've actually started (just today) writing notes and drawing pictures on Post-It notes and sticking them to something inside his lunch kit. He loves asking an adult to read what they say, and he says the adult always smiles when they read it to him.