Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Elementary School Lunch

I took Jackson lunch today and ate with him at school. There's this traffic light thing in the cafeteria. If the kids are getting too loud, the light goes to red and an alarm sounds. Then they're supposed to be quiet until the light goes back to green or yellow. That dang alarm must have gone off five or six times in the thirty minutes we were there. And I didn't even think things were that loud when it went off in the first place. You would think that lunch and recess would be the two places where they can just relax and socialize with their friends. Whatever, I guess they need to learn some kind of self-control. I got to meet a few of the kiddos in Jackson's class. And I got to see one little dude mix his applesauce and his catchup and eat it. He added a few green beans too, just for an added bonus. It's kind of cool to be able to put some faces with the names that he talks about all the time. There's one little girl named Chloe and she is such a cutie. She's got a couple of loose teeth and was having a heck of a time trying to eat her apple. I was really surprised at how many kids eat the school lunch. I would think that most kindergarteners would bring their lunches. I guess Jackson's just kind of high maintenance. Oh well, his lunch probably costs less than a buck a day, about half of what the school lunch costs.

5 comments:

Mad Housewife said...

You didn't have to tell me it was my son playing with his food. I recognized it being him because he mixed two entirely different things together and ate it. Yup! That's my boy! I'm so proud! Ha! Ha!

I usually make Jimmy's lunch, but today he said he wanted to eat the chicken nuggets being served. I gave him $2 (I never see the quarter in change I'm supposed to get). I would have lunch with Jimmy, but it's hard with both girls. Maybe on one of my husband's Friday's off.

Maury said...

Catchup, catsup, ketchup -- it's all the same with applesauce and green beans. =)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I mean, I sat here for like 2 minutes trying to talk myself out of saying anything, but alas, I lost.

The urge was too great, and I am weak.

Jenny Hintze said...

What? I don't get it. Did I spell it wrong?

Maury said...

Yeah, you spelled it wrong — but I stand almost corrected, thanks to the degeneration of proper English: it seems that some dictionaries are actually listing "catchup" as an alternate and informal way to spell "catsup" or "ketchup."

Of course, these are the same dictionaries that say McJob is a word...

Catchup means to catch someone up on something or to grab something.

Oh well.

=(

Jenny Hintze said...

Oh. I initially typed "catsup" and it was underlined in red so I changed it to "catchup." I don't know that I've ever actually thought about how to spell that word before.