Friday, May 02, 2008

Sometimes I sing

I enjoy singing. It's one of the things that I can do fairly well. Like everything else, I certainly have my limitations and weaknesses. I flub up entrances on occasion and I'm not great at singing harmony. I go into outer space sometimes and forget words. But I feel that one of the things that I am at heart is a singer. A singer who doesn't sing anymore.

I was about 22 years old the first time I ever sang publicly. Before that, my husband and my own mother didn't even know that I could carry a tune. Once I got that first terrifying experience out of the way, I began to sing occasionally at church. Phillip and I led worship together here and there over the years. And for the most part, it was really fun. I enjoyed partnering with him in that capacity. I'm not sure he really enjoyed it because he was usually playing acoustic guitar instead of electric. We wrote several songs together before Jackson came along. Then the writing pretty much stopped. And slowly over the last several years, for various reasons, the singing has pretty much stopped too. And sometimes I really miss it. I have other things that I do and most of the time I don't really think about it. But occasionally I have this longing to get up in front of people and let my voice be what it is.

But right now it's just kind of this thing that's laying dormant within me. Someday when the timing is right, I will sing again. For now I sing with the radio or to my kids. I sing in corporate worship at church in between sips of coffee. And sometimes I just sing at home when I'm by myself just to make sure I still can.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Life is interesting, isn't it? Full of twists and turns.

Things I thought I'd do forever, I don't anymore.

Things I never thought I'd do at all, I do.

Things I want to do but never have done, I still haven't.

It seems there are seasons for everything.

May the desires of your heart line up with the desires of God's heart. Psalm 37:4

Garage band,anyone??? We could at least force our music on our neighbors! :)