Sunday, February 26, 2006

Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt

I'm reading the novel Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice. Anne Rice is the one who has written other inspiring books such as Interview with the Vampire, The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief, and Servant of the Bones, among others.

I don't really know much about her or why she decided to write a novel about Jesus after she has written so many other books about blood-sucking vampires. It seems kind of weird, but whatever.

This book is a work of fiction about Jesus as a child. Although we can't know much about the child Jesus, this book portays Him in a way that is very believable. It's cool to think about what He knew or didn't know about Himself and His own diety.

But there are so many characters in the book, it's really hard to keep up with what's going on. There are the obvious ones such as Mary, Joseph, and Jesus. But then there are many others like Cleopas, Alphaeus, Philo, Symeon, Salome, Zebedee, Zoker, and Esther. Zoker? I think I'll tuck that name away in the back of my mind to use some day for a future Hintze kiddo.

I'm kind of ashamed to say that this book has not been a real page turner for me like Interview with the Vampire was. But I do like it. I think this is one of those books that I should probably read again in a year or so to catch some of the things that I'm missing now. Reading this has really peaked my interest in reading more about Jesus' life from the Bible and that's cool. It sounds bad to say, but I haven't been real eager to read much about Jesus lately. It has seemed like I've heard and read so much about Him that the stories didn't seem fresh anymore. And that's sad. I'm hoping that even though this book is a work of fiction, it can help me to take new look at the life of Jesus and maybe learn some new things about Him and His life on earth.

2 comments:

Maury said...

Not to derail, but Blackwood Farm was a pretty good book of Rice's, as well. Also, since I'm a know-it-all (heh), some people don't realize that Interview with The Vampire was written way back in 1976. It's been around for a while, and it's still an exceptional book.

Jim Looby said...

Some people also don't know that Anne Rice has publicly professed to being a Christian as well.