Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I DON'T WANT TO

This is a phrase that Phillip and some of my other family members hear a little too often from me. It usually comes out sort of whiny and pathetic. I pretty much always say it when there is something I either have to do or am making myself do that I really don't want to do.

The thing now that I have to do is to start getting some exercise. And, you guessed it, I don't want to. But my thighs and butt are showing the early signs of horrible things yet to come and it scares the crap out of me.

So tomorrow morning, at the ungodly hour of 6:00 a.m., I'm going to (try) to get my lazy (enlarging) butt out of bed and go walk/jog half a mile. I realize that half a mile is nothing to most people. But I have had very little execise in the last couple of years and so I'm starting off small. I'm going to (try) to do this three times a week for now. No more excuses.

Just so all of you know, I don't respond well to traditional encouragement. I respond better to people saying "yeah, right!" and "you won't stick with it you sorry sack of...." ok, so that's a bit extreme, but you get what I'm saying. The ol' "I know you can do it" garbage doesn't do much for me. So for any of you that care about my health or big butt issues, please push me to actually stick with getting my (growing) butt in gear.

14 comments:

Maury said...

I've been fighting a dadgum head cold all week, so we haven't done any running or walking all week. It'll be like starting over almost, when we do again — but it's worth it.

My recommendation wouldn't be to worry about distance as distance makes no difference. Walk for 30 minutes fast enough to where you're not just strolling, but not so fast you can't carry on a conversation easily.

Jenny Hintze said...

Well, I really didn't want to. But I went anyway. I could tell almost immedediately that I was going to get a blister on my right heel. But I went anyway. It took me almost 20 minutes to go a little over half a mile. I will need to get some new shoes. New shoes alone will encourage me to stick with it more than anything else. Because I'm too cheap to buy good shoes for no reason.

Maury said...

If you're only going to walk, then get a good pair of New Balance or Asics *walking shoes*. Both companies have web sites that can help select a pair of shoes for your arch and all that, too, and Academy (amazingly) has a good selection and most of the shoe models those companies make.

Just be sure to get walking shoes if you're only going to walk -- but if you plan on running, then get running shoes (obviously). Avoid cross-trainers and all the other fluff.

Jim Looby said...

Or save the money and stay in bed.

praynlady said...

Hey, measure the width of your butt and then each month or whenever, measure again and that aughta keep ya goin!

Jenny Hintze said...

I think I'm goig to go up to the church office when nobody's there and sit on the copy machine and hang the copy on my refrigerator for motivation.

tmosh said...

hey jenny i read your blog every once in a while -
"Experts agree it takes 21 days to break a habit & start a new one".
Blessings with the new habit!!
tanys

Amy said...

I lasted two days on my "walking to have a healthier pregnancy" kick. It got hot out there.

Maury said...

Do your legs feel like you went walking yesterday? Your knees? Anything? If you don't have any pain, then go again for another 20 to 30 minutes. Just don't get caught-up in worrying about distance or how long it takes you to walk a certain distance. If you do too much too quickly, you can really do damage to your body, even though one would typically think you can't hurt yourself just by walking.

Chuchey Dradey said...

A copy on my refrigerator would motivate me too. Your butts so big...

Was this the kind of encouragement you were looking for?

Seriously, what has been motivating me has been the fact that when I looked around me at restaurants and saw some of the people around me that were extremely obese, as I had been putting on some pounds, I realized that if I did not stop what I have been doing, I could be like that, kinda like some pictures I saw on Maury's blog a while back...

Snoopdon said: Alright you worthless cadet, Get your hiney out of bed and start taking some slices off of that rump roast!

Jenny said: Yes Drill Sergeant!

Snoopdon: I can't hear you!...

(I sincerely hope this helps, if I have gone overboard, you can delete this or let me know and then I will go to my usual traditional encouragement)

Jenny Hintze said...

I really hope that you were saying that a copy of YOUR butt on your fridge would motivate you and not a copy of MY butt.

Jenny Hintze said...

And Maury, why is it that you have to be an expert on everything? Coffee, cameras, computers, urinals, running, hygeine, etc....

You've been running for two months....sort of.

Maury said...

I'm well learned. And I've done the walking thing for a LONG time, and I used to run back in the day.

I'm an unending source of information, dontcha know. =)

Jim Looby said...

Unending is right...