Tuesday, February 28, 2006

House for Sale

Jack and I had a picnic lunch today in our front yard. Our very nice retired neighbour from across the street came over to say hi and to let me know that there is a house for sale down the road. He was just letting me know in case I knew of anybody that might be looking for a small house to start out in.

But he said some other things too.

He said something like, "We hope a family like yours moves in over there." He said something else like, "We want it to stay a nice, clean neighbourhood." Then he looked at me and said, "You know what I mean, right?" He gave me a look like he was trying to say something without actually saying something. I just thanked him and said if I heard of anyone looking for a house, I would let them know. I am ashamed to say that I know what he was trying to say without saying it. And I am embarrassed to have been a part of that conversation. I wanted so badly to say, "No, I don't know what you mean." or somehow asked him to be more specific so I could talk about his opinions with him. But Jackson was there and so I let it go. Maybe I read too much into what he was saying, but I don't think so.

I know with every generation, the racial lines become more blurred. I wish I could say that I am completely without any racist views. But I know that isn't true. But I do feel disgusted with myself when I think or say something judgemental about another race. I absolutely know that that type of mindset is wrong. I hope my children grow to be even further down this road than I am. I hope my children and my children's children are without racist views.

So, that having been said, there's a house for sale on Redwood St. in Lake Jackson. It has only had one owner. They bought the house new in about '54. It's in good shape but I think the asking price is a little high.

10 comments:

Jim Looby said...

Makes you proud to be a human, doesn't it?

Maury said...

Maybe he just meant that you guys keep a nice yard and don't leave toys and crap all over the lawn.

Or...maybe he really like guyths with shaved headths!

=0

Maury said...

Dang, left off an "s"...

Jenny Hintze said...

We don't keep a nice yard. That's the thing. We don't have toys and crap all over the place, but it's certainly not well kept either. We have no trees of any other kind of foliage or landscaping...except clover and some weeds.

Jenny Hintze said...

OR, NOT OF

Maury said...

WEED?!?!?

THAT'S why he likes you guys.

/Couldn't resist
//Will no longer derail this thread

But yeah, it's tough some times. I think we all have racial bias tendencies — and I don't mean just us "whities." There will never be a day when the world lives in racial harmony simply because there are too many people in each race that think they deserve something from one of the other races.

Race does make for interesting conversation, though, especially when you can get level-headed thinkers from the different races involved.

Race lines are blurring to an extent, too, (no) thanks to things like music (if you can bear to call it that). 10 years ago, when a car pulled up next to you and all you heard was the annoying bass, it was pretty much a sure-fire thing that the operator of said vehicle would be "black." Not long after, you'd have a 50/50 shot that it would be a "black person" or a "Mexican." Now, you have no idea what the race of driver will be.

Of course, my thought on this is that I don't care if you're purple — turn the dadgum radio down, pull your pants up, and straighten-out your hat.

I also hate it when I hear tennie-bop-radio-pop coming out of a car, and when I pull up, it's a dude that's listening to it. What a bunch of wussies we have nowadays. =/

Jim Looby said...

What, you're not a Kelly Clarkson fan? I'm shocked.

Jim Looby said...

What is the asking price?

Jenny Hintze said...

The asking price is $79,000 for a 60 year old 3 bedroom, 1 bath, almost 1000 sq. foot house. I seriously doubt they'll get more than 65 or 70 for it but maybe it has some hidden treasures that I don't know about.

Amy said...

Jim, that's too long of a commute.

Jenny, maybe he was not so subtly telling you to keep a better yard?