Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Singing and stuff

I'm singing this weekend with our band at church and I'm really excited about it. I'll be leading out on three or four songs. It sounds silly, but I'm already looking forward to it like a kid looks forward to Christmas morning. And hopefully, if it goes well, I'll feel pretty energized for several days afterward.

This is far different that I felt when I first started singing publically. Unlike most people that sing, I didn't even know that I could sing until I was in my early 20's. I think I was 22 or 23 the first time I ever sang alone with a microphone. And I was scared to death. Before I would get up to sing back then I would get so nervous I would make myself sick. But as soon as I picked up the mic and started singing everything was fine. That is until I sat back down afterward and my hands would usually sweat and shake like crazy.

Since then I've sung publically many times. But I've probably only actually led worship under 20 times. We've had the opportunity lately and hopefully will continue to have the opportunity to lead at some small start up churches. And that is really cool. It's so low pressure and a lot of fun. Most of the times that I have led worship I have been relieved when it was over and have thought, "I'm never doing that again." But lately, I'm getting more and more comfortable with doing it. And I think the more I do it, the better I'm getting at it. I'm getting more relaxed and more genuine. There have been a couple of times lately when I've thought afterward, "This is what I am meant to do. This is what I'm here for." And to have those thoughts in a lifetime of uncertainty about purpose is really cool.

I have no idea what God is going to do with Phillip and me. I'm seeing an evolution taking place in us and it will be neat to see where it goes.

9 comments:

Jim Looby said...

I think the willingness to let it happen -- embrace the temporary discomfort -- is a step that most of us are unwilling to take.

Maury said...

I need to ask Phillip to expound on his "we need to start a band" comment. Mayhap he was thinking of the 3 of us doing music at various churches. Between us, we'd have:

1. Your vox.
2. My vox (if needed).
3. Phillip's vox (if he'd want to sing).
4. Phillip on guitar.
5. Me on guitar, or...
6. Me on bass.
7. Percussion can be handled via hand-held items, guitar rakes, etc., if a dedicated percussionist/drummer can't be found.

Could be quite interesting, especially since all 3 of us are song writers. I'd just have to tone-down my incessant need for jacked-up rhythms, right Jim? =)

Jenny Hintze said...

That would be cool, but I really don't know what Phillip was talking about. I figured he was talking about just weirdo rock stuff that wouldn't necessarily involve me. I really need to learn to play some kind of hand held percussion stuff, but I'm not sure if I'm coordinated enough to do it and sing.

Hey, and what about Karen??

Maury said...

Yeah, I put a lot of words in his mouth in that comment. Or yeah, he may be talking about us just doing some tracks.

Karen still has her viola, and she picks it up every so often. She can also play the geetar.

Jim Looby said...

Hunh. Don't know what the above individual's problem is...

But yes, Maury does like the occassional odd time signature.

Phillip Hintze said...

I didn't really have anything specific in mind, though I wouldn't have a problem doing some weirdo rock in 7/8, but whatever.

Day jobs are totally overrated, by the way.

Jenny Hintze said...

Observer = Total Jerk

Maury said...

Oh well, "observer" can't help it if he/she's a *******.

Phillip Hintze said...

Hmm, seven letters... Could you have meant:

plumber?
surgeon?
bicycle?
baglady?
fireman?
marxist?

Any other suggestions?