Monday, September 10, 2007

The Whole Kindergarten Thing

Jackson is beginning to have kind of a hard time with going to kindergarten. I think when the day gets started, he's probably fine. But he's been crying a little before school and trying really hard not to cry while he's there. This morning he said that every day of kindergarten is longer than the one before it. I think if it were just until noon, he would be absolutely fine. It's just too long for him. I kind of wish now that I'd looked more seriously into the local Christian school. They have half day kindergarten. But it's very expensive and there's just no way we could afford that right now. And their teachers aren't certified anyway, not that that means anything, I guess. This morning Jackson was trying so hard to be brave and keep himself from crying. And it took everything in me not to cry right along with him. This whole kindergarten thing is just really hard on all of us. The mommy in me wants to just say, "You know what? Forget it. This kindergarten thing is for the birds. You can just stay home with me and Mikey and run around in your underwear and play all day." But that's not realistic. We've thought about homeschooling, but I think I would kind of stink at it and Jack really needs to be around other kids. I'm really hoping he gets used to his new life. He just seems to be getting more upset about the whole thing rather than accustom to it.

9 comments:

Phillip Hintze said...

I hate that kindergarten is an all day thing now. It's complete nonsense, and it's all about this whole "No Child Left Behind" thing which I won't even get started on. It's bad for the teachers, but it's worse for the kids.

Mad Housewife said...

Jimmy has been feeling the same way. He doesn't cry, but when I take him to drop him off lately he's been asking me if I would walk him into the school. Of course, he always asks when I'm in the moving carpool lane and can't park. Not to mention I have Evelyn and baby Sarah in the backseat, so it would really be a pain to get everyone out just to walk him to the door.

I think these feelings will pass. It's a whole new world for our boys. And it's only been two weeks so far. After a few more weeks, I think they'll be used to it and feel like the big kids in our families. It does get easier during the day for them, I know, because when I pick Jimmy up he tells me all about what all he did during the day. And, of course, he's always talking about his new best bud Jackson and that "bad boy" who says yucky words every day.

When I was packing Jimmy's lunch this morning, Jimmy told me about how you wrote a note on Jackson's napkin that said something like "Mommy loves you" on it. That's so sweet! So I did the same thing on Jimmy's napkin I put in his lunch today. Maybe a little personal note from mom will help them get through the day easier.

Maury said...

My Mom always did that with Holli (my niece) -- leaving notes in lunch, I mean. She always hid them in different places, etc., and it became a game of sorts between them because Holli never knew where the next one would turn up, or what it would say.

FWIW, Holli kept all of them, and she still has them as far as I know.

Mad Housewife said...

Did you hear about the potty mouth getting removed from our sons' class? That's the first thing Jimmy told me when he got into the car this afternoon. Poor kid, I hope he gets his language cleaned up. But I'm glad he's not in there to teach our boys yucky words either.

Did your son say he wanted every single book in the book fair packet? Mine did! I talked to my husband who said to let Jimmy pick out one or two books. So I let him pick out four and got the check written already. Hee hee! When I was little, the book fair was the one place my dad always let me splurge. They aren't toys, they're learning tools, and they're pretty cheap too. One of the books he picked out was just 95 cents.

Jenny Hintze said...

Jack told me "Potty Mouth" wasn't there today but he didn't tell he got kicked out! Sweeet! Seriously, I feel sorry for that kid.

I would like to be more creative with the whole note in the lunch box thing. But Jack can't read yet so I have to keep it simple. But the hiding in it is a good idea. Not that many hiding places though.

Taysom Family said...

I cut Kyle's sandwich bread with a cookie cutter. He always has a surprise when he opens his lunch box and the sandwich is uniquely shaped. I think both of my boys have liked it. It was my way of putting a personal touch into their lunchbox during the early school years. I don't think the notes would cut it with my boys.

Unknown said...

Rachel, good idea with the cookie cutters.

Mad Housewife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taysom Family said...

I was thinking about the notes in the lunchbox topic again. If your kids do enjoy them . . . it's cool because you can mix in riddles and quotes later on when they are older. Maybe my boys will take to it a little later on . . . I mommy can wish . . .