Tuesday, March 21, 2006

80%er

I like to call myself an 80%er. That to me means that I put forth an average of about 80% effort in my daily life. The effort or attention with some things may be higher or lower, but just on average, about 80% overall. I was perfectly happy with B's in school, especially if I didn't have to study to get them. I'm comfortable with a few dirty dishes in the sink at any given time. I expect myself and others to screw up several times a day. I am not hard on myself when I do screw up because I know it's coming and I'm fine with it.

But then you have the 110%ers and those people really confuse me. I don't understand them. And they do not understand people like me. They think we're lazy or incompetent and we think they need to take a pill or buy looser underwear. I think that most 110%ers wish they could be 80%ers but they just can't for any number of reasons. And I think most 80%ers wish they could get away with being 50%ers but they know they would starve and have no place to live.

The world needs 110%ers to do the work that the 80%ers really don't feel like doing or don't think is important enough to mess with. The 110%ers create extra work for themselves to do while the 80%ers think of creative ways to pawn their work off on the 110%ers.

If you are a 110%er, thanks for all you do to make my life easier.

4 comments:

Jim Looby said...

I watch ESPN in the morning when I'm on the treadmill (let's leave my effort percentage out of this for now). I noticed that all of the March Madness interviews include players and coaches who talk about, in fine cliches, about giving 150%. Or 200%. I hate the concept of even 110%. That just means that some people's 100% is harder to reach.

From this point on, I'm telling everyone I'm giving 2,500%. I just want to see if it catches on.

Maury said...

I like to give at least 24%, personally.

Chuchey Dradey said...

80% and frustrated.

praynlady said...

______, we tried that and it hasn't worked for either of us yet! I consider myself a 90%er, I try really hard to finish what I start but no matter what I do, or how I give, I always come up 10% short! Wonder why that is???? AADD perhaps?