Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Birkman Personality Profile

The church I attend is going to be offering a class in the next few weeks to help people discover their spiritual giftedness and design for ministry. Some of us part-timers at the office were used as guinea pigs prior to the real class. We did a personality profile by Birkman International to help us discover how we perform best in ministry, how we relate to others, accomplish tasks, and that kind of thing. They relate the whole thing specifically to ministry although it really is just for finding out how you work and interact with other people wherever you are. The whole thing is kind of hard to explain without diagrams, which I don't have here at home. It uses four categories to help identify personal styles of ministry. The four categories are:

Expediting - Doers
Communicating - Talkers
Administrating - Counters
Planning - Thinkers

The test asks a variety of questions regarding what people think about themselves as well as what they think about other people. It also asks questions about job preferences assuming all pay and required education were the same. Then based on the answers, the Birkman folks tally eveything up and tell you kind of where you fit into those four categories. Everyone has some of the characteristics of all four categories, but most people have one or two that are stronger than the others.

I discovered that I fall mostly within the Blue section, which is Planner - thinker. I've never really considered myself to be much of a planner. But I think what they mean is a more big picture, visionary kind of person rather than a detailed planner. Some of the frequent behaviors listed for this type of person fit me rather accurately. I'm cautious, indecisive, dreamy, sensitive (NOT), and somewhat of a free spirit, whatever that means. Planners are also usually insightful, selectively sociable, thoughful, reflective, and optimistic.

I was rather surprised to find out that my next strongest behavioral style was Administrative. People that are strong in this category are often organized, detailed, scheduled, controlling, habitual, and stubborn. I don't really enjoy administrative work even though that is what I currently do. I don't enjoy it, but I don't hate it either. And I can keep a lot of balls in the air. I don't like doing detailed work, but I can if I have to.

Anyway, the whole thing is just kind of interesting. I don't know that the information will benefit me a whole lot. I guess maybe it will help me understand my co-workers a little better. As far as ministry stuff goes, I pretty much know what I'm good at and what I enjoy and those are the things I usually gravitate towards. But for people who may not have a clue about themselves, maybe this would help them figure themselves out.

But I think maybe the results could be a little screwy depending on what type of person you are. If you are an indicisive person, you could have a hard time deciding on which answer to pick and that could give you some strange results. If you are a competitive person, you may want to finish your test before the others, which could also give you strange results. If you are friendly you may talk too much while you are supposed to be taking the test, get distracted, and...you got it, get strange results.

So, anyway, it is interesting if nothing else. But I think there is certainly validity to the test and the results. Variations of this test are used in many Universities to help college students with career planning and deciding on their majors. So I'm sure they probably know what they'er doing.

I think it would have been funny to take the test and answer everything exactly the opposite of what I actually felt just to freak everyone out....but I didn't....or did I??

12 comments:

Jim Looby said...

This is an outstanding test. The problem with these devices is that the person reviewing your results (if you're fortunate enough to have someone doing so) is that they often aren't adequately trained to help guide you to the next step.

That's a frustrating scenario, because it leaves the subject with the sense that they're "equipped" to make a decision. In reality, they're often given a tool and no instruction on how to use it.

Free advice: Take the results to several people who might have some experience in career or ministry counseling. They're insight could make all the difference.

Since this is such a serious post, the following is meant only as a proper counterweight: doodie.

Maury said...

I took one in college and it said I should work with small children. I literally laughed at the lady when she told me that, then I got up and walked out.

I think these tests are neat tools and can provide certain insights, but the key would be to take the test several times over a few months, each test with a different set of questions (all f which trying to glean the same information). It's like those political compass tests: some days you're a Marxist, others you're a tree-hugger.

Nevertheless, they can still be useful — don't get me wrong. But it depends upon what mood you wake up in and who's interpreting the results.

To maintain Jim's frivolity: toilet monkey fart.

Jenny Hintze said...

Well, our kid likes you pretty well...don't quite know why exactly. I wouldn't leave him alone with you for very long for fear that you might teach him some colorful language.

Jim Looby said...

Maury: I actually believe that assessment was accurate. You can be a phenomenal teacher and you have the strength in your personality and character with which to do so. You'd also make a great parent. I could very easily see you become enamored with the development aspect of teaching.

Jenny: I agree with Maury's point. Find the range into which you fall is important. Personality is dynamic.

All: Which is proper? "Turd" or "terd"? Discuss.

Maury said...

Yeah, I *like* kids and all — I just don't know what to do with them. I'll always regret not being that great of an attached Uncle to my nieces and nephews because I just don't know what to do with kids.

Like at church when Jack is around us, Chris does all the tickle and grab and play and fun stuff like that, but I just don't have that in me. Maybe it's because I didn't have a little brother or sister, and maybe it will change when/if Karen and I have a kid. I wish I had that in me, but it's so unnatural.

As to why jack likes me, it's always been that way: kids are drawn to me. Personally, I think it's just God's sense of humor because He knows I get uncomfortable so he makes them run up to me. =)

I guess what I'm saying is that I really do like kids, but I just don't know how to "play" with them like a good "Uncle" should. =(

And yeah, Jack would learn all kinds of new things from me. I remember when my brother's kids were just a bit younger than Jack, I "taught" the older one that everything in my room was a Cheeto. I'd pint to a pen and he'd say "PEN!" and I'd say "No, that's a Cheeto!" and so on. Heh.

Maury said...

Oh yeah, and remember my explanation about how you spell turd from college, Jim? It all depends upon whether or not you furrow your brow:

1. If you do NOT furrow your brow in anger when you say the word "turd," it should be spelled "t-u-r-d."

2. If you DO furrow your brow in anger, then it should be spelled "t-e-r-d."


Consider the following examples:

1. "Whoa — is that a turd on the floor?"
2. "Quit being such a terd, you stinkin' git!"

One could argue that you could furrow your brow when saying sentence one, but the furrow would be due more to surprise or disbelief than anger. For comparison, say the sentence twice in a row: the first would be disbelief, and the second would be an angry observation masked as a question.

The second example is obvious.

When you aren't sure, though, always opt for the spelling "t-u-r-d" as it is, in fact, the proper spelling.

Jenny Hintze said...

Is it pronounced the same way both times?

Maury said...

Yes. It's all in the brows.

Jenny Hintze said...

Oh good.

Jim Looby said...

I also pronounced "terd" with a bit of a sneer. Goes nice with a side of "freakin'" too

Amy said...

I'm so proud of my husband right now.

Unknown said...

I have found the Birkman test to be remarkable. It really made a difference for me. The problem is the cost, but I got over that after seeing the results.

The most affordable place I found was

www.FocusedApproachCoaching.com

I was actually impressed with the 30 minute consult that came with the Birkman Results - AND it is cheaper than I found anywhere else.

Really though, the test is pretty much self explanatory so it is up to the individual to harness the results in the long run. I love the fact that the test will be accurate forever (more or less). I recommend reviewing it every few months or during difficult times as a reminder.