Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Solid Rock

Phillip and I are helping out a little church in Tomball with their music this weekend. It will be good to sing again. Singing can usually pull me out a funk. Anyway, I think we're going to throw the hymn The Solid Rock in there somewhere. It sounds pretty cool and the words are great. I love dusting off old hymns and breathing new life into them. A couple other favorites of mine are Come Thou Fount and Be Thou My Vision. We haven't gotten the ok yet from the preacher man, but we'll probably do it anyway. Here are the words to The Solid Rock. We'll probably skip the third verse.


Words: Edward Mote
Tune: Solid Rock, William Bradbury, 1863

My hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholy lean on Jesus name

Chorus
On Christ the solid rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale,
my anchor holds within the veil

(Chorus)

His oath, His covenant His blood,
support me in the whelming flood
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay

(Chorus)

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
O may I then in Him be found
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
faultless to stand before the throne

1 comment:

Jim Looby said...

Skipping the third verse is so Baptist.

=)

I finally broke down -- you can now post (if you feel so moved) on my blog...