Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A little Mikey update

We've been spending a lot more time working with Mikey on his communication. We have basically cut t.v. out of our lives for the last several days. I've been letting him watch maybe 30 minutes to an hour of t.v. a day. We've been making him at least try to communicate rather than responding to his yelling and pointing. He now knows the signs for mommy, daddy, drink, thank you, more, and all done. He doesn't do them every time we want him to but he's getting much better. And he has said the word "more" a few times but he prefers to sign it. He's also said "apple" (or something that sounded kind of like apple) a couple of times. He seems to be experimenting more with some different sounds and he's mimicking our inflections a lot more. And he is now nodding for "yes." So we're making some progress. BACH will be coming tomorrow to do initial paperwork. And then I guess the speech therapist will come out in the next few weeks or so and evaluate him. We know that he understand most of what we say and he can follow simple instructions. We know that he's very intelligent, he just seems to be having a hard time getting out any real words. So I guess we'll just see how things go in the next few months. I know I'm not as careful about what I say around him as I should be. I hope his first phrase is not "holy crap!" or "that sucks." That probably wouldn't be a very proud mommy moment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In telling ya, Jenny, this baby is strong willed. When he put his arms under his highchair tray last week, instead of doing the 'more' sign for more ice cream, when I knew he was wanting more, and wouldn't even nod 'yes', to me, it was like saying "I'll talk when I'm ready, and not before." But seriously, I'm glad you and Phillip are having him evaluated. He is a precious little human being.

Amy said...

Yeah, the first time Ryan said "Dangit" was a shining moment of parenthood for us.