Monday, July 28, 2008

Nothing to do in this town

I'm glad it's summer but it's hard to keep a kid entertained in this town. You can only go to the library, Sea Center, Arts/Sciences Museum, and the Civic Center Fountain so many times. Jackson has been pretty busy this summer with camping, kids college, and swimming lessons. But we've got about a month of summer left and not much planned. Today, out of desperation for something fun, Jack and I went over to that Triple Play place on Dixie drive and dropped way too much money to ride the go carts. It was fun and I'm a pretty awesome go cart driver. Mad skills, seriously. But we only rode for 10 minutes and then we were bored again. Jackson was pretty ticked off that he wasn't allowed to drive. I let him steer for a while. He wasn't very good at it. Don't tell him I said that. I told him he did a good job. I lied. Don't burst his bubble. Anyway, we're going to have to get pretty creative to make it through the remainder of this summer without going totally broke. What do other people with kids find to do that's inexpensive and fun?

12 comments:

The Reich Blog said...

Have you tried the Angleton rec center? or bowling during the day is pretty cheap too. Just an FYI..I'll think of somemore

Andrea said...

pool or rec center

beach in the early afternoon (take a picnic. you don't have to mess with sunscreen depending on the time you go)

lemonade stand

make cookies for a friend or neighbor

nature walk and let Jackson take some pictures

paint ceramic stuff (those little things are cheap at WMart)

or any crafty thing. if you catch hobby lobby when they have their children's craft sets on 1/2 off you can get some decent bargains.

scavenger hunt in an air conditioned place

that's all i got for now...

Andrea said...

i meant beach in the early evening, like around 5 or 6pm. it's too hot in the early afternoon. my clock's messed up, sorry...

Pennie Stanley said...

It may not be much fun for Jackson, but take him to Donald and Debbie's office...I'm sure he will really appreciate not being bored after that. Plus, he can really mess with Billy Faye (which is always fun.)

Jenny Hintze said...

Oh, Andrea, you mean I actually have to actively participate in alleviating his boredom? I have to interact with him? Dang it, I would rather just go somewhere and let someone or something else entertain him. Just kidding...sort of.

Re: pool, I refuse to go in public in shorts or bathing suit. Phillip will have to do that.

Re:painting, too messy. Jackson doesn't like getting stuff on his hands.

And if you think I'm letting that kid handle my camera equipment, you're nuts. My camera is so heavy it would probably snap his tiny little wrists. I need to buy him a cheap camera.

No, really, those are all really great ideas. I hadn't thought of the nature walk or scavenger hunt. He would really like that.

Keep the ideas coming. Thanks.

RDane said...

make cookies for me

Jenny Hintze said...

Yeah, that's not going to happen. We'll pick you some apples. Besides, eating stuff that kids make is kind of gross.

Andrea said...

Man, you are just way too picky!!

Anna uses an old HP digital camera that the battery cover is taped up. We've had it for about 6 yrs and I paid $50 for it on ebay.

Bring him to my house and I'll show him how to paint without being messy!

Oh! - shrinky dinks are one of the coolest things ever. But you'll probably find issue with this one too....

Jenny Hintze said...

I'll gladly let him paint at your house.

Shrinky dinks might be fun.

I've been wanting to buy an easier to operate point and shoot camera, but unfortunately the one I want costs $300 so Jackson wouldn't be able to play with that one either. I'll get him a cheap camera soon. Maybe Debbie can buy a new camera for herself and let Jack have hers. Huh, Debbie?

debbie said...

I would rather pay for my new dining table and chairs. A new camera is not at the top of my list of things I want to spend money on right now. But I think Jackson and I will have to make a trip to Hobby Lobby to see what we can come up with.

Andrea said...

What would we do without grandparents???

RDane said...

pick me an apple....are you calling me fat???

so, i get a little winded when I dance!

i was just trying to help!!