Friday, July 11, 2008

Will Mikey ever speak?

We took both boys for their checkups yesterday. Jack went for his six year check up and Mikey for his 18 month. The Nurse Practitioner who saw Mikey is concerned that he is still not speaking. Our regular Pediatrician is very laid back and I'm kind of curious what he would have had to say if we had seen him. Anyway, the NP thinks we need to have Mikey evaluated by a speech therapist. She suggested we contact BACH and have him evaluated. I heard from an acquaintance in the office that the BACH speech therapist is overloaded with kids in this area. She suggested that I contact another place who does speech therapy with kids. I'm going to call that place in a little while and see if I can get him in for an appointment to be evaluated.

I am a little concerned about Mikey's speech development and I kind of have been for a while. He says "Bob" from Veggie Tales and that's really his only regular word. He does the signs for "more" and "drink" and sometimes "thank you." He has said the words, "bye, bye" and "more" and "ma-ma" and a few others but he doesn't say any of them with any consistency. He does a lot of pointing and grunting. And we see several tantrums throughout the day because we can't give him what he wants because we don't know what he wants.

Another possible concern is that he doesn't regularly point to body parts when you ask him. He knows where his nose, eyes, tongue, hair, toes, belly....are but if he doesn't feel like humoring you, he won't.

I'm not terribly concerned at this point. I do want to have him evaluated and start getting him some help so he doesn't get further behind. But for the most part, Phillip and I think he is very smart and incredibly stubborn. I don't think this kid is a people pleaser in any way. And since we want him to do some of these things, I think he's just trying to do the opposite of what we want. I told someone the other day that I'm pretty sure if Mikey could speak he would not have very nice things to say anyway.

So that's kind of where we are right now with him. I just hope everything is okay with him. We don't know anything about his family history so there's just a lot of unknowns with him.

1 comment:

Amy said...

My nephew was slow to speak. His was because he wasn't hearing all the frequencies we use in normal speech. Did they mention to you about having his hearing checked?