Sunday, October 12, 2008

I've got a hankering

BTW, I did not take this photograph. You can click on the picture to follow the link to this person's flickr page.


Canon AE-1
Originally uploaded by Jumbo Jack
I would like to get a film camera. I think it would be fun to play around with. I was watching Spiderman and Peter Parker was using a film camera. This is one that would be pretty cool. I just think it's cute and I'm sure it can take pretty good pictures if you know what you're doing. This particular Canon film camera does not use the same kind of lenses that I currently have. If I get a film camera, I'll most likely get one of the older model Canon EOS Elans or something.

The problem is that if I got one and took a roll of film with it, then I would have no idea what to actually do with the film. Processing film at our house is not really going to be a possibility. I guess it kind of defeats the purpose of having one of these if you can't process the film yourself. Can you still take film to Target?

I guess spending $200 on a toy isn't very practical. I guess I need to do some more research.

1 comment:

Maury said...

I developed all my color film myself, but it requires a $700+ bit of machinery, plus around $100 of caustic chemicals that need to b stored properly. I think I have some posts at my old blog where I talk about it.

&W is easy, though -- but you still have the caustic chemicals (different ones, of course). You can develop B&W in your kitchen sink, too. You'll need a grocery list of tool, which I can give to you, and you'll end up wasting a couple of rolls.

You also have to buy decent film, but everyone has an opinion on that.

So, if that film camera was $200, you'll easily spend that much in gear to develop B&W at home -- but it's worth it.