Thursday, October 02, 2008

Pants on fire

Jackson has been lying lately. And it's not even about anything important. He's just been lying about stupid little insignificant stuff. It's like he's testing the waters or something to see if he can get away with fooling me. So far, I've caught him many times.... probably every time. It helps that he's really bad at it. I can't believe my offspring is so bad at this art but I'm glad he is. I wish I could post a picture of his "lying face" so you all could recognize it if you see it. He won't make eye contact first of all, and he kind of shrugs his shoulders a little and twists his head all weird and opens his mouth funny. All of these things are subtle but they're there.

He told my mom some long drawn out story the other night about the four of us and Phillip's parents and brother flying to New York City. He totally had her going until he told her that the bottom of the plane opened up where lots of cars were being stored for people to drive away in. He even told her that we visited the Statue of Liberty and described to her what she looks like. Just now he lied to me about how many kit kats he ate yesterday. I put two in his lunch box and he told me that he just ate one. He won't be getting any kit kats in his lunch today because of it. I just want to say, "Come on, dude! If you're going to lie, make it worth it!!" Right now I'm working on catching him every time. I want him to be totally convinced that I can tell when he's lying. And I plan on taking away video game time or something else every time I catch him at it. I told him that God knows when he's lying and that I know when he's lying and that it really hurts our feelings. This wouldn't bother some kids but Jackson takes the feelings hurting business pretty seriously. I really want him to stop this before it becomes a habit.

So keep your eye out for the look I described. And call him on it. Remind him that he's really bad at lying and he should just give it up and move on to something he's better at.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Anna went through a period where she tried out lying and it was about stupid things also. Like brushing her teeth when she didn't and such. We stayed on her and after your post it dawned on me that it kind of disappeared. I hadn't thought about it in a while. Stay on him and remind him that you know and he will be found out. I also love bringing God into it because that's a great life lesson that he can carry with him later on when you're not around. Not as a guilt trip but as a way of life as it should be.

My .02 cents.