Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm lazy at relationships

I'm kind of a passive friend at times. I'm one of those friends that you have to make an effort to be friends with. I'm sure at times it's not worth it and I totally understand. I'm not good at remembering birthdays, inviting people over, or needing to hang out regularly. If I've got two or three people I'm deeply connected with, that's great. I don't feel the need to have a huge circle of friends. But I do have a lot of friends who I really don't stay in contact with all that much. These are people that I genuinely love and miss being around. It just seems that there aren't enough hours in the day to actively pursue deep friendships and I'm just simply not interested in the surface level stuff. And so that's partly why I blog. I know that I can sit down in about 10 minutes and tell all that's going on in my life and whoever wants to read it, can. Then hopefully I won't have to tell everyone who cares about what's going on because they'll already know. Saves time. So occasionally I come across a friend or family member who asks me how I've been and what's been going on. My first thought is to tell them to read my blog. And I get annoyed that they don't read it. If they had a blog, I would add it to my feed reader and read every new post. I want to say, "Well, if you actually care what's going on, then read my blog." That's very lazy of me. So if I've ever said this to you, I'm sorry. I take for granted that other people aren't wired the way that I am. Some people need to sit down and have conversations over coffee or whatever. And I like that too I just don't have time to sit down with everyone regularly. I'm cool with writing about my life and reading about yours and hoping that will keep us connected on some level. That's probably not the way to try to have relationships with people.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I agree with you and I'm about the most anti-social person I know. But reading a blog is still no substitution for getting out of this house and sharing a good cup of coffee with a friend.

Maury said...

Oh all right -- you can come smoke cigars with us before practice. You could have just asked at nixed the guilt trip...

Jenny Hintze said...

Sweet, but I need some girly cigars. Do they make those?

Maury said...

I think Bunker sometimes smokes the girly ones, so ask him. =)

Willson's Family Blog said...

I am the same kind of friend...Maybe that is the reason the three of us are "friends" We all stink at it, so together we are good, right? I want to smoke girlie cigars too!!!!!!!!!!!