Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The great homeschool debate

So, I'm thinking I'm about 85% sure that we (I) will be homeschooling Jackson for 2nd grade. I need to make an absolute decision very soon. Phillip is supportive either way but thinks it's kind of my decision since I will be the one doing it. If we decide to do it, we'll take it a school year at a time. We could certainly go back to public schooling at some point. I used to be very anti-homeschooling. I didn't see any legitimate reason to do it. Now I pretty much think that it can be really great thing or a really bad thing depending on the individual situations within that family. Jackson has done extremely well in public school so far and I have no major gripes about his public school experience. But he is rather bored and unenthusiastic about school in general.

We've weighed the pros and cons that we can think of and I just really think it could be a good thing for both of us. It would provide him with much more time to spend with his entire family, including extended family, which is very important to us. And I think it will give me the chance to really hone in on his interests and help him explore those things more than can be done in a public school environment. There are lots of reason to do it. There are lots of reasons not to do it. One of the things that keeps coming up from people I talk to is the whole "social aspect." But I haven't heard a lot of real specific questions or concerns related to this. Just the worry that the child won't be "socialized." If they mean learning how to fit into a crowd even though you really couldn't care less about that crowd then I'm cool with him not mastering that. If they mean placing more of a value on friends and activities than family, then I'm okay with him skipping out on that too. Those are most of the social things I learned in school and I think it took me a lot of years to relearn what I knew when I was little. And that's that God made me who He wants me to be and I should be proud of that and not try to change myself to be what others think I should be. Our primary motivation for homeschooling would not be to shelter Jackson from "the world." It's first and foremost an opportunity to spend more meaningful time with him. Secondly, to provide him with a top notch education where he's not spending half his day sitting and waiting. And thirdly, to help him learn who he is without being told who he is by others.

I know by posting this, I'll get opinions on it and I'm totally cool with that. The decisions is ours to make but I'm not opposed to hearing what people have to say about it...good or bad.

6 comments:

The Reich Blog said...

I think if it works for you, then go for it. Jackson will meet his "social needs" through church and other things you do with kids. Luckily our church is big enough that he gets a wide range of kids. I respect you for making this decision because yes, you'll hear it from lots, but you know what's best for you kid/kids. There are so many "homeschool" based programs out there now that I think you can get everything you want and more by homeschooling your child. Good luck.

Andrea said...

http://www.shaungroves.com/shlog/comments/weirder_than_you_thought/

This is the link I was telling you about. They have a really realistic view on why they do what they do. Maybe it will help you in some way.

I have to sort of disagree with Phillip, though, saying it's your decision mostly. He really, really, really needs to support you in this. You'll understand why on certain days that I can't really put into words. Jackson also needs to know that Dad is on board. Discipline as well as encouragement will be necessary and you will need his help. It is also very important for Jackson to to know that his mom and dad or teacher mom and principal dad as we are, are completely on the same page.

Andrea said...

Oh, and on the blog post link, some of the comments are as good if not better than the post. Be sure and read through them when you have time.

Andrea said...

http://www.shaungroves.com/shlog/comments/weirder_than_you_thought/

I don't think the link posted correctly.

If it didn't, try this.

www.shawngroves.com/shlog
and click up at the top on "weirder than you thought" under the popular posts section.

Sorry to blog hog. I think I'm done now.

Andrea said...

comment #4.....

www.shaungroves.com/shlog

It's a good post so it's worth getting it right.

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JENNY!

I'm not against home schooling, and I trust you and Phillip to make the right decision, through lots of research and prayer.