Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mikey turned 2

As I write this, it has been two years exactly since Brandon brought that beautiful baby to our home. In some ways it seems like it has passed in a blink. But on the other hand, there have been many days with this little one that I thought would never end. When Mikey was about six months old I wrote on this blog that he is fearless! That he is going to be the complete opposite from Jackson in every way. At six months old (if not before) we knew that this child was going to make us work. And he has, there's no doubt about that. But I simply cannot adequately put into words what he has brought to this family. But I'll try. He has brought hope, healing, boundless joy, love, laughter..... We love him fiercely. We love him wholly. We were made to love him. If we don't discover any other reasons to have been put on this earth other than to love and protect these two boys, that will be enough. And for Phillip and I to be privileged enough to do this job together is a gift.

In May of 2005 we were facing a very scary situation with a baby boy we ended up losing. His name was Evan and he was very wanted and loved and grieved for. During that time I wrote these words "Someday in the faces of whatever children God gives us I will see the reward. And I hope that the desperation I feel now never completely goes away. I do believe with everything that is in me that someday this will all make sense and I will feel that it has all been worth it."

I get to look into the face of one of the most gorgeous children God has ever created every day of my life. And this child didn't come from my body. He is not biologically related to me in any way. I never felt him kick or have the hiccups as he grew within me. He doesn't have my eyes or Phillip's nose or Jackson's skinny frame. And yet, he is completely ours. We could not love him more. And as hard as the road was to get to him, I can honestly say that he is absolutely worth it. I would not change one single second of my life if it meant that he couldn't be in it. I would go through it all again to get to be his mommy. I hope he always knows this.

So, here are few pictures from my baby's 2nd birthday party. Jackson and I made Mikey a birthday banner and Jackson made tags for Mikey's gifts.












5 comments:

Andrea said...

Quite possibly the most perfect post ever! Brought tears of joy to my eyes. I remember the phone call like it was yesterday. I am so glad we were and are able to share in the joy and all the other stuff....

We are so blessed to have the entire Hintze family in our lives. (and I'm not just saying that because we are moving)

debbie said...

Beautifully said Jenny. I couldn't agree more. I always thought that it would be hard to love an adopted child as much as a birth child. But I was wrong, so so wrong. And I am so so glad.

The Reich Blog said...

You have such a way of saying things. That was perfect in every way. He is made for ya'll and you for him. It's so awesome to see Jackson help in every way take care of his brother and so fun to see the love.

Unknown said...

I can't imagine life without our little Mikey and the big brother God knew would be perfect for him, Jackson. I also can't imagine my life without my other 8 beautiful grandchildren and my new great grandchild. Life is good.

Unknown said...

Love, love, love the pics! Thanks for sharing!

Betw your post & Andrea's on Tori, ya got me teary eyed!