Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Stressed

Okay, let me preface this by saying that we have power at our house. So all these gripes are being made in air conditioning. That may make some of my friends without power want to beat me over the head with a big stick. Some day (very soon I hope) your power will come back on and you'll be free to gripe about some things in air conditioning too. So, please forgive me.

This morning we had some kind of alarm clock malfunction (or mis-operation). We woke up at 7:40. I have to be at the preschool at 8:00 on Wednesday mornings. Jackson has to be at his school by 7:50. And Phillip was supposed to be at his school in Houston at 7:50 or something like that. Needless to say, I woke up and started totally freaking out! I basically just thew some clothes on and brushed my teeth and left. Jackson got up and dressed and Phillip took him to school crying. Jackson ate about half of a thrown together sandwich in the car. It was a pretty bad morning.

I was really stressed out about my pre-school stuff until my kids starting coming in. We have the absolutely best class of 4 year olds that could possibly exist. Each of these children is insanely well behaved and polite and ridiculously cute. I'm already falling in love with all of them and there are a few I want to bring home and keep. Thankfully they're wonderful because all of the planning involved for this class is really tough. I'm not much of a planner/organizer kind of person. I have had to step into that role this year and it is really stretching me. I wish I could just play with the kids, sing songs with them, and just love them for three hours but that's not what I'm getting paid to do. Since we missed almost 2 weeks with them we're having to redo our planning stuff and figure out how we're going to make up what we missed. The whole thing is just really stressful to me. I know it will come together eventually. I'm really glad I have this job to bring in a little extra income because......

Things are really slow with the photography business right now. I'm not sure when people are going to be concerned with getting pictures done in light of all the Hurricane Ike mess. I know people have much more important things to be concerned with right now. I'm really hoping things pick up as Christmas approaches.

Today I got home to realize that they have started tearing up the street right in front of our house. This is the side of the street that you could drive on before today. Yes, that means that there is a section of our street that is totally impassible. So now I can't go the wrong way that way anymore. But I'll have to go the wrong way to come home. Surprisingly, this actually makes me happy because mean old man across the street is going to have to drive the wrong way down the street too. I think I'm going to go out and yell at him the first time I see him doing it. Sweet justice. I've decided that if he comes out yelling at me and wagging his finger at me like I'm a dog again I'm going to walk over there and drop kick him. I could, you know.

Jackson hates school. He cries and begs us to let him stay home. I don't know what the deal is. He is not having trouble with the work at all. He's extremely bright and well behaved. His teacher seems very nice. I'm hoping he settles into his new routine in the next few weeks. It's breaking our hearts to have to take him to school crying. I didn't like school when I was little either. I remember the anxiety that I would feel to have to go. I just don't want him to have this dread in his life. He's too little to feel this way. We may look into home schooling him for 2nd grade. It's just so hard to know what the right thing is for him. He has always loved learning. He is very creative and articulate. I want to preserve that in him not squash it like a bug. Mikey also hates his "school." I'm considering pulling him out. I just don't think he's ready. His BACH therapist is going to observe him in his class next Tuesday so she can help me make a decision. We don't want to coddle our kids. We know that isn't going to help them in the long run. We also want them to feel secure and have a positive outlook. Being a parent is so hard.

No comments: