Tuesday, May 30, 2006

My First Car

Since Phillip posted the car he wants to get on his blog, I thought I would post the kind of car I want to get......again.



When I was 16, I got my first car. It was a 1974 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 2 door. It was awesome. It had power windows and locks, cruise control, and nice vinyl interior. It had been owned by some old lady who kept it in the garage and rarely drove it. It had the original 8 cylinder engine. Mine was not the color of the one in the picture. Mine was a kind of grey/green color. And the one above is a convertible, which mine was not. I think it had under 100,000 miles on it when we got in '94. We paid $1,000 for it. Quite a steal.....

And I had no idea how truly cool that car was. I just kind of thought it was some cheap piece of junk and I took horrible care of it. We ended up having to replace the original engine with an 80's Malibu engine and after that it ran like crap. One time in high school I ran it through some really high water over in front of Girouard's in Freeport. The water was a couple of inches below the bottom of the window. It had rained like crazy that day and I decided to ignore the detour because I thought I could get through it. Water got all inside the car. My friends were freaking out like they thought we were going to drown or something. Anyway, after it sat for a couple of days, it started right up. This was before we had to replace the engine. I think the standing water, the donuts on the beach, and the fact that I never changed the oil caused the engine to eventually blow. After the whole flooding incident, it smelled horrible. I ended up selling it to my cousin a few years later for a few hundred dollars.

Man, that car was cool. I had people asking me all the time if it was for sale. And I thought they were crazy. I just didn't realize it was kind of a classic. An ugly classic, but a classic just the same. I would really like to get another one someday. I can't even describe how fun that thing was to drive before I blew the engine.

No comments: