Monday, October 09, 2006

Parenting is hard

I talked with two of Jack's teachers today at the preschool. And they did not have very positive things to tell me about the way Jackson has been behaving. It makes me really sad to say it, but he is not the compliant, sweet little boy that he was a couple of years ago. He has gotten it in his head that he runs the show and it needs to stop. I think it's really easy for only children to develop this mindset. The hard truth is that I am starting to not like the person that he is becomming. All of the people who are strong influences in his life have some work to do. And I am putting myself at the top of that list. I spend more time with him than anyone else so it has to start with me.

I unplugged the xbox and put it away for atleast a week. If he keeps acting the way he's been acting lately, he's not going to get it back. And I'll continue to take more stuff away if that's what needs to be done.

I used to work with preschool kids. And I had some kids that I just flat out did not like. I dreaded seeing them coming. I thanked God when they missed a day. And I had to totally fake like I was glad to see them when they came back. And I do not want my son to be one of those kids. And more importantly, I don't want him to become one of those adults that people hate to be around.

I'm not exactly sure when he began to act like this and I'm not exactly sure what has caused it. But it has become a problem and it is our responsibility as his parents to see that it stops.

On a (sort of) funny side note.... his music teacher told me that he doesn't want to do any of the things they are doing in music class because he is too busy pretending to be Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader or other Star Wars characters. I know he's a four year old boy and I also know that the things they do in music class are pretty silly. But it's still not o.k. for him to disobey his teachers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what does/did Jackson play on his xbox? Was it that devil-worshipping game Minecraft?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.