Thursday, October 26, 2006

Thinking about homeschooling

I have never thought that homeschooling was a good idea. I had no idea why parents did it. And I swore I never would.

But.....now that I am a parent, and our kid is approaching school age, I'm thinking about it. That does not mean that we've decided that's what we're doing. We're just thinking about the pros/cons, etc. I'm not sure if I'm organized and disciplined enough to do it right. I know that Jack needs social interaction other than church. I also know that he is kind of a home body and not terribly comfortable in crowds. I don't want to make that worse. But the school system is slowly going down from what I've heard from friends/family that are in the biz. We will not be able to afford Christian schooling until I am working full time, which is not going to happen for several more years. I don't like the idea of my kid being at school for 7 hours or more to learn about 3 hours worth of material and then have to come home and do an hour or two of homework. I don't want to miss out on that much of his life. But this can't be about me. I can't homeschool him because I will miss him. That's just not a good enough reason, I guess. So, anyway, it's just something we're considering right now. We've got some time.

1 comment:

katie said...

Hey Jenny, I just wanted to let you know that I was homeschooled half my life....and suffered like everyone else in a regular junior high and high school setting(although it was a private Christian school, it was still nothing I'd choose to relive...)

Kyle and I have changed a lot since we've had D., and one of those decisions has been re:education. I'd also be happy to chat about this, and if you want to you could read Dr. Dobson's Bringing up Boys(if you haven't already). THere's so many other good books to help you, I can suggest many(and they almost all come on tape in case you like to listen over read).