Friday, June 13, 2008

I go by my middle name.

I think it's kind of weird when people go by their middle name.  And I know that applies to some of you so I mean no offense here.  It's not really your fault anyway; it's your parents.  They were the ones who couldn't make a decision, not you.  I once knew a guy whose given name was James Jeffrey (Last Name) but he went by Jeff.  He had never ever gone by James his entire life.  His parents chose to name him James Jeffrey rather than Jeffrey James because it sounded too much like the outlaw Jesse James.  It seems like that would make for a confusing and frustrating time in school but maybe it's not so bad.  

So I say all of that to let you know that we've decided to call Princeton (the dog) by his middle name, which is Scott.  So we're not really changing his name.  We're just making his life much more complicated, that's all.  

4 comments:

RDane said...

John Randall Dane - aka Randy.
Why do parents do this? It makes no sense and it is confusing! But, we have decided if we have a boy we are going to do it to him too. 4 generations what else can you do?

Jenny Hintze said...

Yeah, I knew you were a middle namer. You can break the cycle of confusion. Pannal (Aaron) broke the cycle, thank goodness. At least your first name is an actual name.

Amy said...

We have James Ryan, but call him Ryan because his dad and granddad are James too. We were kinda obligated to follow family tradition.

I wonder if he'll ever believe us that his name is really James. I don't think we've ever called him by it.

gale said...

I am a middle namer. You may or may not know that. Mark is also a middle namer. I never thought of it as being strange. In fact the only times I ever heard my middle name used were on the first day of school and when I was in trouble. Even now, Wanda Gale sets me trembling wondering what I have done wrong this time.